Love Well

A new commandment I give to you, 
that you love one another, 
even as I have loved you, 
that you also love one another
John 13:34

Los Angeles is a transient city. People come here to chase dreams and leave here to dig roots. We chase opportunities and sunshine and stability, but none of that comes easy. Except maybe the sunshine. And so we become really good at saying goodbye.

The greatest temptation in Los Angeles is not anything offered by Hollywood. It's the temptation to disengage. To disconnect. To never connect at all. It's safer that way. It hurts less.

We're called to better.

In the last couple of days, one dear family has announced their departure. Another their return. My cozy little bubble is changing again. I don't question if it was worth the investment, worth my heart and heartache to pour into these precious ones for the short time I had to care for them. I question if I loved well enough.

Through all my seasons, that question haunts me. In the time I had, did I make them feel seen, heard, valued? Did I lighten their loads? Did they leave me better than I found them?

The internet allows us odd little windows into the lives of people we can't live life with every day. And so I get glimpses of the people I've loved and let go. I've watched them find new homes and new communities. And I rejoice and ache as their kiddos grow and change and graduate high school when I think they should still be babies!

And I pray and I hope that I've made some small impact on who they have become. I pray and hope their new homes and schools and work places will be better because of how they've been loved.

And I look for new opportunities to love again.

It hurts. Today it hurts a lot. I'm weary of saying goodbye. My heart aches for little ones I can't hug today. My coffee mugs are empty when they once offered warm comfort to visitors.

But we all move along. Life continues to flow. I look for those around me who need a hug or coffee or a sympathetic ear. I aim to love well. To love strong and deep, for whatever time I have.

Do the same and we'll make this world a better place.



What I'm listening to: Never Alone by Aaron Sprinkle

There's a melody we all can sing
I, I know I can't do it on my own
But I believe in a melody we all can sing


I loved Poor Old Lu in high school and have admired Aaron Sprinkle as a producer (Anberlin, Eisley, MxPx, New Found Glory), but I never picked up his solo work. We had the pleasure of seeing him perform at Joshua Fest last summer and this whole album really caught my attention. It's not my usual, but his lyrical depth and emotional honesty are deeply refreshing.

I've worked through this book (and the companion Parent version) several time, but it's extra relevant today. I love the scripture verses that accompany each of the 31 prayers. I aim to read through the prayer/scripture for each day of the month in addition to my regular devotional. It's a solid reminder of all the ways I can support my family through prayer.

What I'm watching: Forever

I have no quote or recommendation or anything. This is a thing I watched. I felt things. I don't know how I felt about those things. I appreciate how streaming has allowed commercially unviable content to exist.

Comments

Popular Posts